BY DE HAVILLAND
The U-6A, known as the L-20A until 1962, was manufactured by DeHavilland Aircraft of Canada Ltd. Between 1952 and 1960 nearly 1,000 were delivered to the US armed services. Most were used by the US Army, but more than 200 U-6As went into USAF inventory and were flown in utility transport and liaison roles.
The principal mission of the USAF U-6A was aerial evacuation of litter and ambulatory patients. Other missions included courier service, passenger transport, light cargo hauling, reconnaissance, rescue, and aerial photography. The U-6A saw USAF service in both the Korean and Vietnam Wars.
Warner Robins Air Logistics Center was responsible for the system program management and logistics support for all USAF U-6 aircraft. The U-6 on display was delivered to the USAF in February 1953 and assigned to the 4700th Air Base Wing at Stewart AFB, New York. In January 1968 it was assigned to the Warner Robins Air Materiel Area, Robins AFB, Georgia until it was retired in March 1974. It was acquired by the Museum in 1986 for display.
Span: 48 ft.
Length: 30 ft. 4 in.
Height: 10 ft. 5 in.
Weight: 5,100 lbs. loaded
Armament: None; provisions for two racks under each wing capable of carrying one 250 lb. bomb or chemical tank on ea. rack
Engines: One Pratt & Whitney R-985 of 450 hp.
Crew: One (plus five passengers)
Serial Number: 52-6087
Maximum speed: 163 mph.
Cruising speed: 120 mph.
Range: 455 miles
Service ceiling: 20,000 ft.