The Museum of Aviation will be CLOSED
to the public on Friday, July 3, 2015
in preparation for the Independence Day Concert
- GENERAL PARKING for the concert will open at 4:00 pm across from the Museum of Aviation main gate at Anchor Glass
- MUSEUM GATES will open for the concert at 5:00 pm
- PRESHOW will begin at approximately 6:45 pm
- DARIUS RUCKER will begin at approximately 8:00 pm
- FIREWORK SHOW will begin approximately 10:30 pm
- SHOW WILL END shortly after 11:00 pm
Tickets are available now to win $30,000 or a new vehicle from one of eight local car dealers in the Museum of Aviation Foundation's 30th Annual Auction, Raffle and Taste of Local Cuisine
The event, widely recognized as Middle Georgia's largest summer social, takes place on July 18th in the Century of Flight Hangar. Second place in the raffle will receive $3,000 and third place $1,000. The grand prize winner has the option of choosing any one of the following vehicles:
- 2015 Cadillac ATS 2.5L Sedan from Five Star Automotive
- 2015 Ford F-150 4x2 Supercrew from Five Star Automotive
- 2015 Honda Accord EXL V-6 from Hughes Honda
- 2015 KIA Sorento SX from Jeff Smith Automotive
- 2015 RAM 1500 Express Crew Cab 4x2 from Jeff Smith Automotive
- 2015 Scion FR-S Release Series 1.0 from Lowe Toyota
- 2015 Volkswagen Passat Wolfsburg Edition from Jeff Smith Automotive
- 2015 Wrangler Sport 4x4 from Five Star Automotive
Purchase your tickets online with link below, by phone at (478) 923-6600, at the Museum Foundation Gift Shop or on the third-floor offices. Buy early to be eligible for four early bonus drawings.
This exciting event will feature hundreds of items up for bid in a silent auction beginning at 6:30 pm. Taste an amazing selection of "Local Cuisine" from 7:00 - 6:00 pm., and then get ready to raise your paddles during the live auction beginning at 8:00 pm. Items up for bid include vacation getaways,furniture, jewelry, appliances, football and baseball tickets, and many other wonderful selections.
Early buyers are eligible for the following prizes, and still remain eligible for the grand prizes on July 18. The bonus drawing dates and prizes are:
- June 22 - $200 Gift Card
- June 29 - $200 Gift Card
- July 6 - $200 Gift Card
- July 13 - Apple Watch
To purchase tickets, CLICK HERE.
The Fastest Plane in the World
By Thom Patterson, CNN
Thom Patterson, CNN senior producer for various in-depth digital reports, featured the Museum of Aviation SR-71 “Blackbird” on CNN’s website. Patterson, writes digital stories for CNN, interviewed the Museum’s curator, Mike Rowland. The article and video highlights the world’s fastest aircraft history and accomplishments. To view, CLICK HERE.
Guided Tours Provide Inside Look
Written by Angela Woolen
U.S. Air Force photo by Misuzu Allen
Tours can offer insight, and behind-the-scenes tours at the Museum of Aviation happen almost every day. Whether you're a kindergartener, a senior citizen or somewhere in between, these tours are designed for everyone.
A Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps group from Charles Drew High school in Riverdale recently received a guided tour from Candi James, who is in charge of those tours at the museum.
The C-130 is on the second floor of the Eagle Building. Most people see the front of the airplane with a pilot mannequin.
Guided tours take people inside the fuselage of the plane.
To read more,